Friday 14 February 2020

Seventh Son. Joseph Delaney: Review


Just thought I would do a quick review of this book. I found a copy in the WHSmith discount store and thought I would give it a go as I had enjoyed the movie.

"This volume includes Book 1, Revenge of the Witch, and Book 2, Curse of the Bane, of the Last Apprentice series. Only the Spook has the knowledge and skill to face ghosts, bind witches, and bargain with boggarts. Now he needs an apprentice--Tom Ward, who is the seventh son of a seventh son. Other apprentices have come before. All have failed, or fled, or died. Will Tom learn what they could not? Can he trust anyone, even his one true love? He will find out--and soon, for the dark is getting powerful, and the Spook's time has come. Will Tom survive to carry on his master's battle? Will he be the Last Apprentice?"

It is very different from the film, the characters are the same but the story line has been changed drastically. I don't know they would have basically rewritten the book for the film as the novel is excellent...in fact the plot is better than in the film.
The characters are more rounded, you learn more about the history of the Spook, Alice and especially Tom Ward's mother as it explains where her powers come from and why she married Tom's father.
I'm just wondering if they will be keeping Alice around in the future  books as she seems to know a lot about magic, black or otherwise and I think they could use her help!
Just about to order the next in the series, so hopefully this will keep me going for a few weeks.
Apparently it is a book for young adults but hey who cares I'm young at heart!

No comments:

Post a Comment